You want to start being open minded, right? So, what if I told you that I grabbed $500 dollars from the cash register, at my local supermarket today.
Would you assume I stole it and look down on me? Would you feel anger, that you slog it out at work every single day and here I am choosing the easy road by helping myself to someone else’s hard earned cash?
Or, would you pity me, since my life must be terribly awful for me to resort to something like stealing?
Now, think about this: perhaps I took the cash because I own the supermarket and I wanted to donate the money to the orphanage in my area. Has your impression of me changed now? Did you have enough information to arrive at a wise conclusion?
Here’s what this is all about.
You Are Thinking Way Too Fast, Buddy
When you are presented with information, such as the $500 dollars example above, you brain has the tendency to rush to a conclusion and believe the information at hand is all that there is.
And most the time, we don’t even check the reliability of the source of that information. We take what little information we have and form a story about the situation; this happens almost automatically.
It is an intuitive response to the information received, and an action of our subconscious. This information is then sent to the conscious mind, to decide whether to reject or adopt the story.
In this small window, between the passing of information from subconscious to conscious, we can train ourselves to be open minded and question the intuitive story that initially jumped into our minds.
A closed minded person will not fight the intuitive story; they will automatically accept it as fact. When you automatically believe the intuitive story as fact, you are “jumping to conclusions”, which, unfortunately, we are all guilty of doing from time to time.
The sad fact is many of us pass judgment way too fast, since we believe that there could only be one answer or only one solution to absolutely any situation. We take the first thing that enters our minds and go on to establish it as a fact.
Truth is, we’re not always right, you know. When we pass judgments, all too often, we harm relationships and we then experience ill health. Our perception of how positive the world is alters too.
But here’s the thing, once we understand that not everything is always as it seems, to question the source and question our intuitive judgment, then our lives become very different.
Read My 8 Reasons To Start Being Open Minded
1. Experience A More Jubilant Universe
- From my experience, a closed mind only sees things in black or white. But, once your mind starts to open, you will quickly realize that the world you live in is jam packed full of bright shades, hues, and vibrant colors.In short, I used the vibrant colors as a metaphor for the thousands of different perspectives you can choose to take, in every situation life throws your way.
Your mind will expand from thinking in just two possibilities (black and white) to literally hundreds of exciting options. But that’s not all, you’ll also notice your selections become more abundant, because your mind is no longer stuck in a tiny little box with limited space to flourish.
2. You Can Experience A Free Mind
- An open mind frees us of limiting thoughts. There’s little (if anything) that can hold us back but when we think we know all the answers and neglect to consider alternatives, we put ourselves straight back into that black and white box.
- But once we admit to there being numerous solutions and outcomes, we allow ourselves to think beyond any boundaries that would normally put a halt to our actions/beliefs.
3. Your Behavior Will Evolve
- Once our thoughts and beliefs change, our actions and behaviors can be expected to change. Many people try to do it the other way around by modifying their behaviors to try and change but they find it doesn’t work.
- True change will happen from the inside out.
4. You Will Have More Fun
- An open mind equals more fun. We become far more willing and eager to try new and experimental things and we let go of whatever has held us back previously, so that we begin to embrace this exciting life. We start experimenting with different things and find ourselves enjoying more experiences.
5. Solutions Seem Easier
- It really does become easier to find solutions to problems. Once we are willing to consider the notion that there are copious amounts of effective ways to deal with issues, we open ourselves up to many more options in regards to problem solving. We don’t get stuck with trying the same solution over and over, just because we can’t open our minds to think of something else.
6. Relationships Will Flourish
- Opening our minds leads us to a greater ability to love and be loved. Once we let go of needing to pass judgment, we allow ourselves to experience far more meaningful and deeper relationships with those we come into contact with. We also tend to give and accept love far more freely, since we’re no longer concerned with passing judgment on people. We simply accept people for who they are.
7. Tolerance Levels Become Higher
- A higher tolerance level means more patience with other people. We become open to the fact that they have a valid reason for feeling or behaving as they do as opposed to jumping to the conclusion that they’re just in the wrong.
8. Discover Loads More Energy
- Last but not least, when we’re not completely bogged down with negative thoughts and trying to figure people and everything else out, we enjoy abundant energy which helps us to focus on the more important things in life, namely, good health, family and friends.
Can you see the amazing advantages that being open minded has to offer? I thought I’d include a few quick tips to help you on your way to opening your mind:
- Start becoming inquisitive and more aware of your judgments and questions. Think about where they come from. Are you basing them on previous experiences or something you’ve simply heard from an unreliable source?
- Start challenging your thoughts. If you find yourself reaching a conclusion really quickly, question yourself and ask whether it’s true 100% of the time. If it’s not, don’t limit yourself to that one single thought as being the only option possible.
- Start practicing meditation. During a meditative state, the mind opens and you will experience a heightened ability to solve problems and the ability to properly think outside the box.
- Try to learn something new and broaden your horizons whether you educate yourself about other customs, groups or cultures. Start seeing things from different viewpoints and angles.
Once you have the ability to look at all possible options objectively, that is when you open yourself up to an amazing new realm of ideas and infinite possibilities. It’s kind of like a new, vibrant world becoming available to you. Embrace the energy, enjoy the vibrancy and open your mind today.
What Are your Thoughts?
Let me know your thoughts, views, and opinions in the comments section, because I’m always happy to hear from you.